Tailored Opportunities: TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme
In collaboration with UNESCO and a number of centers of excellence in the South, TWAS (The World Academy of Sciences) has instituted a Joint Associateship Scheme to enable competent researchers from the South to visit these centers regularly. An associate is appointed for three years during which he/she can visit a center twice for research collaboration. About 300 centers have been selected to participate in the scheme.
The candidate must hold PhD or equivalent degree. There is no age limit. Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
The deadline for this application is 2 December 2019
Applicants must complete the online application form by clicking on the ‘Apply now’ button at the bottom of this page. It should also contain the following documents:
- scanned copy of the applicant’s passport, even if expired (page with applicant’s name and surname);
- supporting Statement from Head of Home Institution;
- the applicant’s curriculum vitae (no more than 4 pages);
- the applicant’s full list of publications;
- PhD certificate;
- two letters of recommendation by two referees, one of whom should be from an expert from another country;
- A recent invitation letter – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – from one of the Institutions listed in the files available here. This letter should contain the proposed time of the visits (two to three months for each visit) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should also reflect the contact made between the applicant and proposed host and the agreement made on the timing of the visit and the facilities available for research.
TWAS provides travel support for the associates and a contribution towards subsistence costs up to USD 300 per month while living expenses (food and accommodation) are covered by the host centers. The center also provides the research facilities.