A formal program of PhD study will be organized jointly with the Laboratory of Geo-information Science and Remote Sensing, Department of Environmental Sciences, Wageningen University and Research (prof. dr. Devis Tuia). This implies that you would spend a significant amount of time writing a research proposal and publications, meeting with supervisors (weekly), following PhD courses (organized through the PE&RC Postgraduate school) and networking with other researchers. You would have to prepare and submit a research proposal after 6 months from the start of position, which would be evaluated at the PE&RC school level independently.
- You have a MSc degree in the field of geoinformatics, geo-information science, environmental sciences, statistics and/or computer science.
- You have a solid knowledge of spatial and spatiotemporal statistics and time-series analysis.
- You have initial knowledge or FOSS including Linux OS, R, Python and/or similar.
- You enjoy modeling and visualizing spatiotemporal phenomena such as land cover changes, land degradation / soil erosion, climate change indices and similar, especially using Google Earth and various Open Source software solutions such as leaflet, R Shiny, Geoserver and/or Cesium.
- You have affinity to work with large multidimensional arrays including time-series of Sentinel and Landsat imagery.
- You have sufficient knowledge of geo-databases and can independently install and upgrade databases (PostGIS, CouchDB).
- You are fluent in English.
- As a general requirement for the PhD promotion, you are expected to successfully complete the PE&RC postgraduate study programme, and produce, and have accepted for publication (as first author): 2 articles in Q1 or Q2 journals and 2 articles in other peer-reviewed journals (note: only articles connected with the topic of the thesis would count for this criteria).
Application Deadline: 24th of November 2019
Questions regarding this position can be directed to Tom Hengl, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications, including (1) a CV, (2) a statement of your interest and vision, and (3) self-assessment based on the minimum requirements, should be uploaded via this link. Read more about the general submission procedure.
If you need help in responding to this opportunity, please write your question in the comment box below.
If you need to receive similar opportunities like this one, please follow this blog by pressing the follow button in the upper right corner of this page.