The PhD Candidate will work in a Strategic Basic Research project (cSBO of Flanders’ Food): EffSep – Efficient separation of macroconstituents from biomass by combining unit operations based on insights in structural organization. You will work in an interdisciplinary team of research groups, during this 4year project. In the frame of circular economy and biobased thinking, an increased attention is going to valorization of food waste, preferably producing new products/derivatives of the food waste with an added value as high as possible in the valorization chain. On the other hand, to be able to fulfill current needs and trends towards the use of alternative and new biomass and their ingredients in the food, attention is going to producing food ingredients from these biomasses. This biomass is highly susceptible towards deterioration, and therefore stabilization techniques are needed, not hampering later extraction technologies or affecting the (technological/functional) quality of the extracted macroconstituents.
In that respects, your research work will focus on novel strategies for stabilization of biomass, and will focus on its impact on the extractability of macroconstituents. The work will be carried out at the research unit VEG-i-TEC, Department of Food Technology, Safety and Health, at Ghent University – Campus Kortrijk. Starting date is at the latest 1st of November.
- Holds a Master of Science degree in Bioscience Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related disciplines
- Has a background in microbiology (fermentation) and/or enzymology, or has a background in extraction technologies of biomolecules.
- Has good oral and written communication skills in English.
- Likes to interact both with academic and industrial partners
- Is a team player with a strong sense of autonomy and responsibility
- Has strong analytical problem-solving skills (creative, critical and open-minded)
Last application date: Sep 16, 2019 11:29
To apply, please submit the following documents by email to Katleen.Raes@ugent.be
- Motivation letter
- Names and contacts from at least 2 references
- Copy of diploma’s and transcript of records
All required documents need to be submitted, merged in 1 single pdf-file.
Subject line in the email: PhD position for EffSep-project: stabilisation of biomass Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately, as upon selecting the right candidate, the vacancy can be closed earlier.
For more details on this opportunity, click here.