The ILRI Genebank has an established molecular laboratory and bioinformatics capabilities to support this research. In addition, the Integrated Genotyping Service and Support platform and broader BecA-ILRI capabilities are available at ILRI Kenya to support this work. Under the supervision of ILRI scientists, the fellow will genotype 100 Lablab purpureusaccessions to identify the amount of genetic diversity existing within and between accessions. The fellow will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, or in Nairobi, Kenya with travel to Addis Ababa.
Lablab purpureus is an important dual-purpose legume used both for human consumption and as forage. The ILRI Genebank holds about 340 accessions with previous research activities focusing on characterisation and diversity analysis enabling the development of a core collection and the identification of best bet accessions for dryland and sub-humid environments. Theoretically each seed in an accession is a unique genotype and the extent of genetic diversity, or distinctness, within accessions will likely vary both between and within accessions. The graduate fellow will work together with ILRI scientists to assess genetic diversity in the Lablab purpureus accessions held in the ILRI Genebank. This study will provide useful information to determine how many seeds are needed to capture given attributes in the accession and in the rationalisation of our germplasm management efforts.
Key requirements for the ideal candidate
- Degree in Plant Science, Biological Sciences, or the related field
- Demonstrated experience working in molecular genetics, quantitative genetics or bioinformatics
- Work experience in organizing and implementing laboratory/field/glasshouse work
- Work experience in DNA extraction and analysis
- Good working knowledge of MS Office packages
- Experience contributing to writing reports and journal publications
- An effective and energetic team player with the ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work independently, multi-task and meet tight deadlines
- Proficiency with written and spoken English
Deadline for application is 15 September 2018.
Applicants should submit an application letter explaining their interest in the position, CV, university letter confirming student status, names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Applications should be made to the Director, People and Organizational Development through the following recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ The position title and reference number REF: FFRD/GF/01/2018 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
For detailed information on this opportunity, please visit this page,
If you need any support in making an application, post your question in the comment box below.
If you would like to receive similar opportunities regularly, please follow this blog by inserting your email in the follow box in the top right side of this page.