Vision: Science to Applications (VISTA) is a collaborative research program funded by the Canada First Research Excellence Fund (CFREF, 2016-2023) that builds on York’s world-class interdisciplinary research in biological and computer vision. VISTA spans five York faculties (Health, Engineering, Science, Arts Media Performance & Design; Liberal Arts & Professional Studies), five research centers (including the Centre for Vision Research), and over 50 partners in the international research community and non-academic sectors such as healthcare and industry.
The central scientific question that drives VISTA is ‘How can neural and/or machine systems be integrated to provide adaptive visual behavior in real-world conditions’. Answering this question will provide fundamental advances to vision science and exciting, widespread applications for visual health and technologies. Our overarching aim is to advance visual science through research that spans computational and biological perspectives and results in real-world applications.
Fellowships will be awarded competitively based on the strength of the candidate, the strength of the research proposal, and fit with the goals of the VISTA program. Distinguished Fellowships will be awarded competitively to the very best candidates, (nationally or internationally), provided they have met the additional standards for excellence expected of the program.
The VISTA Postdoctoral Fellowship will provide financial support to high-caliber scholars doing postdoctoral research that is aligned with the VISTA program under the supervision of a VISTA core member.
The VISTA Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship will provide financial support to the highest calibre applicants. These may be awarded to individuals with PhDs from other national or international institutions, doing postdoctoral research that is aligned with the VISTA program under the supervision of a VISTA core member. Evidence of excellence in their field may include publications in high impact venues, best paper awards, or other measures of recognition and achievement.
VISTA will support interdisciplinary training programs across its core fields and will support training opportunities with partners in industry and public service that will enhance the postdoctoral experience. Funding is available for up to two years. The selection process and post-award administration are carried out by the VISTA Training Committee and the VISTA Administrative Staff in collaboration with the Faculty of Graduate Studies at York University. Following review of the eligibility criteria, and confirmation of a VISTA core member supervisor, applicants should submit their application to email@example.com by the application deadline.
To be eligible to apply:
- Your application must be supported by a VISTA Core Member who would become your supervisor. VISTA Associate Members are eligible as co-supervisors with a VISTA Core Member;
- You must hold a doctorate in an area that falls within the VISTA mandate;
- A PhD or equivalent degree must be completed by the start date;
- Postdoctoral Fellows who hold an external award (e.g. NSERC) at York, and who have not previously held a VISTA Postdoctoral Award, are eligible to apply for a one year extension from VISTA during the final year of their award;
- Postdoctoral candidates who are employed at York University under the category of ‘Postdoctoral Visitor’ are only eligible to apply to VISTA during their first 6 months of employment (or until the first available VISTA Postdoctoral Award application deadline, whichever comes first);
- VISTA Postdoctoral Fellowship or Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants may NOT apply to work within the same research environment (i.e. institution or supervisor) where they completed their PhD.
- You must accept an offer with a start date:
- April applicants: No earlier than July 1 and no later than December 1
- September applicants: No earlier than December 1 and no later than July 1
- You must conduct research in the vision sciences that is aligned with the VISTA program.
There are two deadlines for application April 16th and September 7th
- Apply to the VISTA Postdoctoral Fellowship competition;
- Applicants for the VISTA Postdoctoral Fellowship may be considered for the Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship with the inclusion of additional documentation as outlined below;
- Identify and confirm a VISTA Core Member as your supervisor. VISTA Associate Members are eligible as co-supervisors with a Core Member;
- VISTA Postdoctoral Fellowship Application
- To create an application, please complete:
- Application form
- Voluntary Self-Identification Survey
- One-page summary of proposed research
- Postdoctoral Supervision Form
- Postdoctoral Co-supervision Form (If applicable)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Reference. Note that letters should come from Referees that do NOT include the proposed supervisor. The proposed supervisor may opt to submit a letter of reference in addition to the two required for the application.
- To create an application, please complete:
- VISTA Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship Materials
- Applicants to the Distinguished award should also include a letter of support from the Proposed Supervisor. This is in addition to the materials outlined above.
- Email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letters of Reference should be sent directly from Referee to email@example.com
For detailed information on this opportunity, please visit this.
If you want any support in making an application, post your question in the comment box below.
If you would like to receive similar opportunities regularly, please follow this blog by inserting your email in the follow box in the top right side of this page.