The Centre for Public Authority and International Development (CPAID) is a newly established School Research Centre based at London School of Economics and Political Sciences (LSE’s) new Firoz Lalji Centre for Africa. The centre’s role is to answer critical questions that have bedeviled international engagements with fragile, conflict-affected, marginal, and impoverished places. Our fieldwork focus is orientated toward Africa, but the global challenges we address are far from regionally specific – as concerns about migration to Europe, illicit financial flows, and international terrorism underline.
CPAID is seeking to appoint a dynamic individual to the position of full-time Research Officer to start in June 2018 to support the study and contribute to research primarily focused on public authority and inclusive growth in Africa. This post will involve undertaking field research, developing, and applying qualitative methods and administering surveys for investigating how forms of public authority coalesce to shape patterns of governance and conflict over resources across spaces and temporal scales. The position offers an opportunity for a motivated researcher to develop a research career in International Development or a related discipline, such as Anthropology, Sociology, Geography, or Political Science.
Applicants should have the following qualifications
- PhD, or soon to be completed PhD, in Anthropology, Geography, International Development, Political Science, Political Economics, Sociology or a related discipline
- Strong background in field research, ethnographic methods, and qualitative surveys
- Excellent communication skills, with an excellent command of the English language, both orally and in writing
- Demonstrable ability to produce independent original research to 4* journal standard
- Demonstrable expertise and research on Somalia and wider region
- Demonstrable ability to analyze and research complex theories and to apply appropriate methodologies to collect primary data
- A good command of Arabic or Somali language appropriate to the role
Deadline for application is 15 March 2018
Applications should be made online on this application portal.
If you need more details on this opportunity, visit this page.
If you want any support in making an application, post your question in the comment box below.
If you would like to receive similar opportunities regularly, please follow this blog by inserting your email in the follow box in the top right side of this page.