Who can apply?
As an international program, we encourage students from all countries to apply. Successful applicants will be enrolled at a German University which is typically the University of Cologne (UoC) or the Heinrich-Heine University (HHU) located in Düsseldorf near Cologne. The Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research (MPIPZ) and the Universities of Cologne and Düsseldorf are equal opportunity employers.
The candidate must hold Master’s degree or comparable, with 4 to 5 years University studies in relevant subject. It is not necessary to hold the degree at the time of application, but must be awarded before PhD projects start in autumn 2018. The quality of the degrees (i.e. eligibility) will be checked by the University of Cologne or Düsseldorf on a case-by-case basis.
Solid knowledge of the English language is necessary to succeed in our program. We thus encourage you to support your application with the result(s) of internationally accepted language exams such as TOEFL or IELTS, which are however not mandatory.
- The final deadline for application February 5, 2018
- Selected applicants will receive invitations to our Selection Symposium early in March.
- The Selection Symposium runs from April, 23 to April, 26 and participants will be asked to present their recent research in a short (10 minute) presentation.
- Presentations will be followed by interviews and the opportunity to get to know the Max Planck Institute and its surroundings.
- Successful applicants will typically start their PhD projects in autumn 2018.
How to apply:
Please exclusively use our online application system. Other types of applications such as individual emails will not be considered in the selection phase. The application must be in English and all necessary documents such as certificates need to be either in English, German or require translation. Refer to the Application Instructions for details on the application procedure or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the call please visit this link: http://www.mpipz.mpg.de/imprs/application