The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
IITA and Bioversity International are recruiting an “Geospatial Data Scientist” to support geospatial data collection, analysis and modelling under a BMZ supported agricultural research for development project in Central Africa. The project aims to use citizen science and ICT to develop (cost-)effective and scalable decision support tools for advancing the prevention and control of Banana Xanthomonas Wilt (BXW) in East and Central Africa. The project has a 3-year timeline and will mainly take place in Rwanda; where the position is based. This project uses ICT-based and geospatial tools to (1) provide extension providers and farmers with decision-support on (cost-) effective BXW control, and (2) crowdsource data to develop a GIS-based early warning system to prevent the further spread of BXW. The postdoc will play a pivotal role in the implementation of the project, working closely together with the PhD researcher(s) and the Rwanda Agricultural Board.
The postdoctoral fellow will undertake the following activities:
• Design, implement and monitor geospatial research in the context of a research for development program.
• Collect, analyse and visualise geospatial data to develop decision support tools for pest and disease control and prevention.
• Geospatial modelling for simulation and prediction of pest and disease spread.
• Lead participatory and inclusive GIS-based tool design and testing with research and development partners.
• Collaborate with scientists and mobile app developers to improve geospatial data collection based on
principles of Citizen Science and Crowdsourcing.
• Design, develop and maintain information systems to implement procedures to avail geospatial data using mobile app- and web-based tools to end-users.
• Liaise with software and app developers to integrate prediction models into decision support tools.
• Conduct statistical analyses of experimental and survey-based agronomic, socio-economic and/or health data.
• Collaborate with data scientist to develop prediction models.
• Backstop GIS across the ongoing IITA and Bioversity International R4D project portfolio in Central Africa
The candidate should have a finalised PhD in human geography, geospatial information systems (GIS) or geospatial modelling preferably applied in the field of agriculture.
Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/career
Deadline for application is 26th December 2017.
For more information on this opportunity please visit the link below
If you want any support in application, post your question in the comment box below.
If you would like to receive similar opportunities regularly, please follow this blog by inserting your email in the follow box in the top right side of this page.