Shared by Dawit Gebregziabher
EFI is seeking a dynamic Junior Researcher to join its Bioeconomy Programme at EFI Headquarters in Joensuu, Finland.
The responsibility of the Junior Researcher
Forbio Project: Sustainable, climate-neutral and resource-efficient forest-based bioeconomy.
- Support characterization of value chains of new wood-based products in the EU and their implications on industry structure and sustainability
- Facilitate planning and implementing a backcasting study on preferable future development of Finnish forest-based bioeconomy
Tech4Effect Project: Knowledge and Technologies for Effective wood procurement
- Build forest operation value chains in ToSIA tool (Tool for Sustainable Impact Assessment) according to instructions
- Collect data on economic, environmental and social indicators, and on wood material flows
Qualifications of the candidate?
- MSc in forest sciences or related discipline, preferably with a focus on economics and markets, and/or forest value chains and impact assessments.
- Enthusiasm and capacity to learn new skills and gather information around research topics of bioeconomy, value chains, traditional and new wood-based material flows are a prerequisite.
- Demonstrable interest in science-policy-practice interaction related to forest-based (circular) bioeconomy, cascade use and all pillars of sustainability.
- Knowledge and understanding of forest-based industry structure and wood product markets are benefitial.
- Knowledge on available decision support tools that can guide forest value decision making and scenario assessment is an asset, interest in collecting experiences through surveys on how such tools are used in practice.
- Plans for/or ongoing PhD studies related to the topic of bioeconomy and (new) wood based value chains is supported by EFI.
- Prior experience of ToSIA is a strong asset.
- International experience, e.g demonstrated by internships, studies abroad and/or international courses, international work experience is a plus.
- Interest to generate both new research findings and recommendations for decision makers in practice.
- Experience in science communication or peer-reviewed publication is beneficial.
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English are essential. Knowledge of Finnish is an advantage.
EFI headquarters, Joensuu, Finland
The employee will be an EFI staff member. A fixed term appointment of one year with the possibility for an extension. The position can start from 1st January 2018.
Interested candidates are requested to send a CV with a cover letter by 5 pm (CET) on Thursday 30th November 2017, using the online application form. If you are not able to apply online, please send your application to efi.hr @ efi.int.
For more information about the post, please contact Diana Tuomasjukka, Principal Scientist – Sustainable Bioeconomy Team: diana.tuomasjukka @ efi.int or Jo van Brusselen, Principal Scientist – Bioeconomy Markets Team: jo.vanbrusselen @ efi.int.
Please note that only candidates that have been shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
For detailed information, visit this link: http://www.efi.int/portal/careers/open_jobs/?bid=2955
If you would like to receive similar opportunities regularly, please follow this blog by inserting your email in the follow box in the top right side of this page