Shared by Dawit Gebregziabher
ASPB (American Society of Plant Biologists) is offering a limited number of $575 travel grants to attend Plant Biology 2018, which will be held this year in Montréal, Canada from July 14-18, 2018. This program aims to increase attendance of early career scientists at the annual meeting by providing travel funds for those in financial need. Increasing diversity among Plant Biology attendees is another primary goal. Undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, faculty, and professionals beginning their careers in plant science are strongly encouraged to apply. US Residency is not a requirement to apply.
How to apply?
Applications must be submitted electronically (online). Letters of recommendation can be uploaded directly to the application by the advisor and professional mentor via a link they will receive once the application is saved and finalized. Alternatively, a letter of recommendation can be sent to email@example.com. Submission deadline for the application and both letters is Wednesday, December 6, 2017 (11:59 p.m. EDT). Please request letters of recommendation with sufficient time so the writers can honor this firm deadline. The system will automatically send a request for a letter only once the applicant selects finalize on the application.
Applicants must submit for review:
- an abstract of the research that they intend to submit for presentation at the annual meeting*
- a paragraph expressing why attending Plant Biology 2018 would enhance their career
- a primary advisor’s letter of recommendation that includes the level of funds available, if any, for applicant travel
- a letter of recommendation from a professional mentor (other than the primary advisor)
- letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the application via a custom link or sent to Sylvia Lee
- a current resume or CV
Submission of an abstract as part of the Travel Grant application is a distinct process from submitting an abstract for presentation at Plant Biology 2018 and must be received by Wednesday, December 6, 2017 (11:59 p.m. EDT). To have your work considered for presentation during a concurrent symposium at Plant Biology 2018, you must submit your abstract through the regular meeting abstract system by February 19, 2018.
Travel grant selection criteria will be based (in this order) on:
- the science and the quality of the abstract
- the statement about how attending the meeting will have an impact on the applicant’s career
- the strength of the two letters of recommendation (see above for letter instructions to postdocs, faculty and professionals)
- ethnic diversity
Applicants who are selected to receive a grant will be notified by email by Monday, January 22, 2018. Non-recipients will be notified shortly thereafter.
If you would like to receive similar opportunities regularly, please follow this blog by inserting your email in the follow box in the top right side of this page
For more information, visit this link: https://aspb-travelgrants.secure-platform.com/a/